Wednesday, November 10, 2010

the Third Year

Three years ago yesterday I became a mommy!  Wow, has it really been 3 years...seriously?  Man how the time flies when you're growing, laughing, learning, and throwing fits over the smallest of things.

Ahh yes, three years ago yesterday our strong-willed, tender hearted, sharp minded, dimple faced Ruthanne (though she didn't actually come into the world with the dimple, but that's a story for another day) was born into a tub of water and the world hasn't been the same since (nor has her mother's sanity!).

She is now officially 3 and is very happy to tell you so (almost three is a thing of the past).

We've pretty much been celebrating this milestone in the Beebs' life since Friday when cousin Gil, Aunt Laura, Uncle Eric, Grammie Ann, and (a surprise for all of us) Grampa Bill arrived in town.

Before their arrival, the Beebs and I worked on making her birthday cake.


She was very excited about using the step stool so she could help mommy crack the eggs, dump in the ingredients (including pumpkin to add nutrients! shhhh, don't tell), and mix it all up.


While it was mixing she asked if she could taste it...a girl after my own heart (though, I'm really more fond of cookie dough beaters myself).  Of course I let her lick the beater, spatula, and bowl till her heart's content!

Our time with cousin Gil was short but sweet, as he (and his parents) had to leave for Minnesota on Saturday morning. (is it just me, or does baby L look a bit like an old man in a pink sack?)

That afternoon we had a "Flowers and Bees and Princess" party complete with the "Flowers and Bees" cake

and three special friends.  

A VERY wise person once told me that it was best to invite just one friend per year of your child's life.  (now, if I could just remember which wise person said that I'd be sending them flowers!)

The small celebration was great fun.

And true to her genetic makeup, after opening a gift (the first one in fact) which had a book in it, she was quite content to stop and enjoy the gift.

The fact that others lay near by unopened did not matter one bit; they could wait!
Just like her daddy (and Grammie Di) - book worms all :-) 

On her actual birthday we took a special outing to the local bounce house - Jumping Jungle - with her good friend, Claire.  Beebs and Claire are quite the pair...energy incarnate!


 



just watching them play, run, bounce, and climb wore me right out!



They arrived with LOTS of energy but left quite spent.  Beebs even ended up falling asleep at nap time (only took about 2.5 seconds, too).

Now we begin the fourth year. (take deep breaths, take deep breaths...)

With God's strength I will survive this next year...and so will she!

From the Vault (a look back) -
images of birthdays past

first birthday

second birthday (and yes, she is crying as we sing to her!)

We love you sweet Beebs; we pray your strong-will will bend to the will of the Father and that your life will bring glory to the Lord all your days!

5 comments:

  1. My mom has told me the same thing about birthday guests for kids. I don't know where she heard it. I have to say I love your cakes! They are beautiful. Arturo's birthday cake was made a week late and was a jiffy chocolate cake. The whole new baby thing kind of took up our time. But hey, he had a cake with candles (which he loved blowing out). Love the pictures and the posts. Keep them coming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like I was at the party! God bless blogs! and, yes, God bless books :) Nicely done; again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday! We were thinking about you as we celebrated Jack's second birthday. Brooke...we have got to talk one day as my first born is also a strong-willed child and we pray the same prayer for him as you did at the end of your blog post! Hugs from Kaua'i!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely Love the Bee Cupcakes! I will need you to teach me or come next year to Bees birthday and make her cupcakes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Heather, and that Arturo had a birthday cake at all is impressive!
    Yes Kamie, we should talk soon; I find God using the strong-will of my child to sanctify and refine me!
    Christina my first choice is to be at the party...but if that doesn't work out I'll show you how to make the Bees (its super easy!...the key is using sliced almonds for the wings).

    ReplyDelete