Monday, August 22, 2011

the hair cuts

Oh man.

I've become one of those people. 

You know, those people who start a blog with the best of intentions (to post at least one-ish time(s) a month) and then, umm, well, yeah.

Life happens.

So, my apologies to those who care enough to check back at regular intervals...only to be disappointed (yes, grammie, that's you).

I blame the summer.

Sure, the summer should afford me more time to do such things as blogging.  Yet, in reality, the lack of structure, which allows for more traveling and fun activities, means I just don't think about writing or, when I do, its usually late and I just want to sleep, or, as a result of the traveling, I don't have ready access to a computer and/or internet.

Blah, blah, blah, I know. Again, sorry.

But, beforet you get your hopes up that now is your chance to get the 411 on our wonderful May...June...July...and, uh, most of August, don't.  I am not going to do that right now.

No, I just wanted to post a few quick photos to show the big event that happened today.

Before:

 And, After...6 inches later:

Yes, that's right, after nagging me every day for the past week to give her a hair cut, I caved (read: she caught me totally off guard today and I'd used up all the good stalling strategies yesterday). 

And, because I'm a rookie, it took two additional re-shaping sessions to get things all evened up (so the final result is actually above her shoulders, but when I tried to take another picture she was NOT having it - and since she'd sat so patiently through the additional sessions I didn't push the issue becausethereisalwaystomorrow).

The little darling said she wanted to look like me.  How could I say no to that totalbrownnoser?

She also said shorter hair would "be less sweaty and tangley."

My before and after took place in May (10 inches chopped!):


So, though her mommy is still getting used to the new style (I admit, I had to take deep breaths and hold back the tears a little as I chopped the first 6 inch sections off), Beebs is loving the new do.

However, after the fact, when I asked her who she looked like (as she gazed at herself in the mirror), our conversation went like this:
Mommy: So, who do you think you look like now?
Beebs: Nobody.
Mommy: Yeah, I guess you just look like your self don't you.
Beebs: No.  My self has long hair.  I don't look like anybody.

Right. Well. There you have it.

I suppose it will take some getting used to for everybody!

And, for the record, I don't think its the actual loss of hair that makes me melancholy.  I mean, I've always said "its her hair, if she wants it long great, if she wants it short great." (seriously, I've said that)

No, its not the actual hair - after all, I think the short style makes her look a little younger.

Its her initiation of the cut, the follow through to get it accomplished, and the fact that she had a real opinion about how she wanted it to look that reminded me once again that my little friend is growing up. Too. Fast.

Sigh.

From the Vault (a look back) -

 She came out with all kinds of hair (2 weeks old)!

And its been growing out (and often crazy) ever since (9 months).

1 comment:

  1. Love the new do's on both of you! And I am impressed with your abilities! AND... I totally know what you mean about blogging in the summer ;). Love you, friend!

    ReplyDelete