Tuesday, February 15, 2011

the Decorated Baby and Other Forms of Entertainment

I've decided, in the interest of being current (and cutting edge, of course), that I don't want to always be playing catch up on this blog.

From now on I'm going to blog in the Now (at least some of the time, anyway)!

After all, these baby girls are changing and growing EVERY day (shocking, I know), and when I'm always playing catch up (i.e. what happened last month and the month before) many of the little stories and daily phenomenon get completely overlooked.

For example, Baby L is now sitting up on her own.



She moved from the mostly-content-to-lay-here-and-look-at-the-toys-hanging-in-my-face stage, through the rolling-from-back-to-belly-but-getting-stuck-and-frustrated-and-needing-to-be-turned-back-over-every-other-minute stage, to the super-happy-to-be-sitting-up-but-still-occasionally-flopping-over-and-then-doing-sit-ups-and-pushing-to-my-knees stage without a single update post to document such huge accomplishments.

In many ways, these missed parts are the most delightful (if not funny) pieces of this journey we're on and (in my somewhat biased opinion) worth sharing with those who care about our lives.

And while Aunt Laura's prediction that she'd be crawling by the time I posted again did not (thank the Lord because I'm not ready for that) come to fruition, Baby L is scooting backward and pushing to her knees.  

I'll put her on her belly facing North, only to find her four feet away facing South.  The sweet days of true immobility are sadly gone.

Thus, those who where waiting with baited breath for me to wax eloquently about our fabulous anniversary getaway/family time in Washington state (in January)...well, you'll have to keep waiting.  There are more pressing stories to share!

Yes, Washington must wait for now, as its time to talk about accessorizing.

Accessorizing? Seriously?

Yes, accessorizing.  You know, the thing women do to fancy-up themselves and/or their wardrobe (often as a way to distract from a part of their person that they feel lacks in some way).

You see, on Saturday the Beebs decided that Baby L was in need of a little fashion help.  According to Beebs, Baby L's bald-ish-ness is rather more like a boy than a girl.  Thus, she needed some help accessorizing with some well placed stickers as a way of distracting from her, um, bad hair day(s)/month(s)/life.





See what I mean?  With all those stickers you hardly notice her lack of hair!

We've told Beebs many times that Baby L is watching her and learning from her and that she needs to be a good example for her baby sister.



Apparently she decided that a little hands-on, one-on-one teaching was most appropriate for this particular lesson!

(for the record, no babies or babies head's were harmed during the teaching of this lesson; the stickers were nice and old [thus less sticky] and she really doesn't have much hair for them to stick to...and, yes, she is sporting a cloth diaper!)

Besides making us smile, Beebs' accessorizing of her younger (less mobile and thus unable to getaway) sibling gave us a glimpse of the fun we know these two will have as they get older and the trouble they may soon be getting into together.

Their bond is already very evident.  Baby L can hardly contain her excitement when Beebs walks in the room.  It truly warms this harried mom's heart!

Let this video serve as an example of Beebs' ability to entertain her sister: (notice how deadpan Baby L's face goes when Beebs is out of her sight, i.e. in-between the giggles and glee)


In addition to making me laugh and smile (and occasionally pull out my hair), the Beebs also has a way of making me ponder the simple things, the things that often go unnoticed either because I'm an adult and already "fully understand" such simple things (thus have no reason to wonder) or because I'm just too busy to notice.

Tonight as she and I were driving in the car our conversation went as follows:
B: Mommy, there aren't any clouds right now.
M: Really?
B: Yes, they aren't in the sky because its too dark to see them.
M: Well, they might be there but at night the darkness hides them.
B: Yeah, the darkness hides the (pause)...the lightness.  The darkness makes it so the lightness can't shine on us.

Indeed.  Profound words really.  My pray for her is that she not allow the darkness that life brings hide the lightness that the Holy Spirit provides.  And its my job to lead the way!  Selah.


From the vault (a look back) - 

Rudy (aka the Beebs) and cousin Lizzie (my sister's "baby" girl) - October 2010...okay, so this isn't that far "a look back."  But, its evidence that accessorizing with stickers runs in the family and is not just a means for tormenting small, somewhat immobile children!

2 comments:

  1. Go Baby L! Wow...what a leap of mobility in the last months or so!!! Baby George isn't too, too far behind. Big sis does just what big sisters are supposed to do...bring joy to the little ones! Love your blog and love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the stickers on Baby L...I can expect H will be doing that to our #2 in a few months time! She obsessed with stickers...in fact has been known to take princess stickers to bed with her!

    ReplyDelete